Section 4: the Handshake
Use a firm but gentle handshake
Men, especially, are sensitive to the way you shake a hand. A weak or ‘dead fish’ handshake will instantly lose you likability points.
- Don’t just ‘offer’ your hand, a handshake is teamwork
- Use the pressure you would use to grab the stick of a heavy pan
- If a person is offering you a ‘dead fish’ handshake, don’t squeeze too hard
Make eye contact as you shake hands
Looking away automatically signifies negative things:
- You don’t have attention/respect for the other person
- You have something to hide
Look into someone’s eyes long enough to memorize their eye color. Don’t stare, just observe for a moment.
Smile like they made your day
When looking into someone’s eyes during the shake, smile as if you saw something in their eyes that makes you happy.
Don’t laugh out loud, just smile.